A world leader in communications and networking was seeking to generate additional licensing revenue, by asserting a number of wireless networking patents potentially being infringed by a number of large players in an adjacent market. The company initially used internal resources to document evidence of use on the standard. However, given the relative size and sophistication of its opponents and the likelihood of litigation, it sought additional technical analysis to solidify its evidence and ensure it could negotiate from a position of strength. The company turned to Chipworks for independent third party analysis, and its capabilities in documenting evidence of use based on standards literature, as well as multiple technical techniques.
- Identify and document technical evidence of use to supplement standards-based results
- Find an objective third party capable of providing technical evidence of use beyond standards-based literature
- Delivered over 10 claim charts in six months
- Mapped relevant patent claim elements to the results of technical analysis involving functional testing and lab observations
- Performed functional verification of several devices, including computer-based products and networking equipment
- The client was able to substantiate its internal findings with technical evidence of use provided by Chipworks
- Armed with Chipworks’ claim charts, the client has moved to litigation with select targets
- The client has the potential of earning hundreds of millions in licensing revenue
For over 20 years, Chipworks has been a trusted patent and technology partner to the world’s largest and most successful companies. Business leaders rely on Chipworks to help them identify and fully leverage their most valuable patents and provide crucial analysis of high-revenue products in the most competitive, fastest changing technology markets.