Chipworks welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Chipworks’ Accessibility Plan
1. Accessibility Plan and Policies for Chipworks
This 2014-25 accessibility plan outlines the policies and actions that Chipworks will put in place to improve opportunities for people with disabilities.
2. Statement of Commitment
Chipworks is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We believe in integration and equal opportunity.
We are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities in a timely manner, and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility and meeting accessibility requirements under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (“AODA”).
3. Accessible Emergency Information
Chipworks is committed to providing the customers and clients with publicly available emergency information in an accessible way upon request. We will also provide employees with disabilities with individualized emergency response information when necessary.
Chipworks will provide training to employees, volunteers and other staff members on Ontario’s accessibility laws and on the Human Rights Code as it relates to people with disabilities.
Training will be provided in a way that best suits the duties of employees, volunteers and other staff members.
Chipworks will take the following steps to ensure employees are provided with the training needed to meet Ontario’s accessible laws by January 1, 2015:
- In-person group training sessions for all employees whose roles and responsibilities require them to interact with the public or our clients;
- Post training slides on our intranet for all employees to access;
- Share training summary and slides with temporary employees, more specifically temporary employees who interact with the public on our behalf;
- Share an overview with all employees at an all-company meeting at least once per year.
5. Information and communications
Chipworks is committed to meeting the communication needs of people with disabilities.
Chipworks will take the following steps to make all new websites and content on those sites conform to WCAG 2.0, Level A by January 1, 2014:
- Upon request, provide a written transcript of any video material on our website;
- Ensure that all content is available in large font;
- Upon request, employees can provide verbal content over the phone or in-person.
Chipworks will take the following steps to ensure existing feedback processes are accessible to people with disabilities upon request by January 1, 2015:
- Encourage and accept verbal feedback, when preferred
Chipworks will take the following steps to make sure all publicly available information is made accessible upon request by January 1, 2016:
- Ensure our reception desk has a copy of our Accessibility Plan and Policies;
- Post Accessibility Plan and Policies on Chipworks’ intranet to ensure access to all employees, allowing them to share when requested.
Chipworks will take the following steps to make all websites and content conform to WCAG 2.0, Level AA by January 1, 2021:
- Engage an external web consultant to assist with all website conformance
Chipworks is committed to fair and accessible employment practices, and we understand that the Employment Standard will come into place in 2016.
We will ensure the following steps are in place to notify the public and staff that, when requested, Chipworks will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes and when people are hired:
- We will post our Accessibility plan and commitment to equal access
- Update our Careers page to include information required in order to provide equal access
- Understand requirements in advance of a visiting candidate in order to ensure accommodation is provided where needed.
Chipworks will take the following steps to develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability:
- Work with Insurance Company covering the disability to ensure accommodation plans are made in advance of the employee’s return.
We will take the following steps to ensure the accessibility needs of employees with disabilities are taken into account if Chipworks is using performance management, career development and redeployment processes:
- Provide access in various forms, e.g. written, verbal, or large font, upon request
Chipworks will take all possible steps to prevent and remove other accessibility barriers when identified.
7. Design of Public Spaces
Chipworks will meet the Accessibility Standards for the Design of Public Spaces when building or making major modifications to public spaces.
Public spaces include:
- Outdoor public eating or picnic areas
- Outdoor paths of travel, like sidewalks, ramps, stairs, curb ramps, rest areas
- Accessible parking
- Reception area
8. For More Information
For more information on this accessibility plan, please contact Jennifer Rantz at:
Accessible formats of this document are available free upon request.
Original Issue date: October 2013
Updated Dec 2014 (new logo)