Unlock the value in your software patents
Connected devices are becoming more complex and increasingly secure. As the Internet of Things and connected devices proliferate, patent holders have more and more of their portfolio value in systems and software-level patents.
Successful support of software intellectual property requires a comprehensive and dedicated toolkit, including (but not limited to) software and hardware exploit methods to take control of the CPU in the target computing platform/device, software forensics, analysis and disassembly, hardware attack methods, network data traffic interception and analysis, and functional in-circuit device probing.
Software analysis techniques we leverage
Our cutting edge technical capabilities in operating system and application software analysis include but are not limited to:
- Firmware Extraction
- Binary Code Analysis
- Code Disassembly/De-compilation
- Hardware exploits to enable S/W exploits
- Static / Dynamic Analysis
- Vulnerability assessment
- S/W forensics analysis
TechInsights’ team of software patent experts deploy a variety of techniques to uncover and prove software patent value:
- Functional, feature and performance testing
- Communications network packet monitoring and analysis
- Client-server interactions
- Software installation / authentication / forensics
- Dynamic/static firmware code analysis
- Extraction and analysis of firmware from protected devices
- Forensic and Network attacks analysis
What we analyze
- Mobile and portable devices
- Network and cloud-based services
- Secure / Mobile / Contactless payment systems
- Telecom systems / networks
- IoT networkable devices (e.g. smart meters, thermostats, vacuums, connected white goods, smart TVs, smart LED lighting)
- Smart TV sets / Set top boxes (smart applications, ambient light sensors, LCD drivers)
- WiFi access points / customer premises equipment / user equipment (protocols, feature set algorithms)
- Solid state drives
- Automotive systems
ON-DEMAND WEBBINAR RECORDING
A Technical Perspective on the Value in Software Patents
Alice has had an impact on software patents, but they can and still do hold significant value.
If your portfolio includes software patents, there will be times when you want to extract value from that portion of your portfolio. As with any patent, there are three key criteria that must be applied when determining value: (1) is it being used; (2) is its use economically significant; (3) and can that use be proven.
One of the most direct ways to uncover evidence of use (EoU) related to a patent can be through reverse engineering. Because software is typically embedded in a system, investigating patented innovations implemented in software for EoU poses unique challenges.
This webinar took place on Thursday, February 1, 2018, at 12pm ET. The following is what was discussed:
- Whether software patents are valuable in 2018.
- Strategies for developing EoU for software-related claims and patents.
- Opportunities, solutions and technology making a patent supportable.
- Different types of valuation analysis that can be performed.